I am going to divide this journal into two parts
because today was another big day. We started the day by waking up at six and
catching a bus to the Taj Mahal. We would be seeing it at sunrise, and the
excitement on the bus was evident. All of the students were dressed up in
fantastic clothes of all different colors because they had been looking forward
to this for a while. The drive to the Taj was not too long, but we had to walk
pretty far to get to where we get in. On the walk there, a few kids and adults
came up trying to see us stuff. This happens a lot in the more touristy areas
of India, and the best thing to do is to completely ignore them. As our tour
guide, Solanki, told us, the word “no” is not in their vocabulary. I forgot to
talk about Solanki in the previous blog. He is one of the tour guides and he
joined our trip on day eight. He is a very nice man, and is VERY knowledgeable.
Anyways, we got through the gates and had to walk even more to see the Taj
itself. There is an archway in front of the Taj that hides it from sight until
you walk through it, so we did that and were greeted with the most spectacular
sight you could imagine. The sun was still rising, and the Taj had a slight
pink tint to it (the same that it had the evening before). The massive (it is
actually quite large) building towered over everything and you just could not
take you eyes off of it. That’s one thing I’ve noticed. When you look away from
the Taj Mahal, you just have to look back for some strange reason. Its white marble
is so radiant and so stunning. Once we were in the actual Taj complex, we had a
professional photographer take pictures of us. The students absolutely loved
it. I am pretty sure that each one of them got multiple pictures taken by the
photographer. I took tons of pictures of the Taj from all kinds of different
distances, lightings, and angles. The building is just so photogenic (sorry,
I’m gushing a bit about it, but it’s just fantastic). We walked for a while and
eventually made our way up to the main platform that the tomb itself is on. If you didn’t know already, the Taj Mahal
is a Muslim tomb. It was built by Shah Jahan (the fifth Mughal Emperor) for his
wife, Mumtaz Mahal, when she died. When I walked up close to the building I
could see the extreme detail on it. There were tons and tons of flowers and
geometric designs that were absolutely stunning. The workers used pietra dura
work to create these flowers and shapes, the same work that was used at the
Mini-Taj. Another thing I noticed all over the Taj was this writing that looked
like Arabic. My mom told me that it was actually Persian, and that the writing
was verses of the Koran, the holy book of Islam. We walked inside of the Taj
Mahal (where pictures are prohibited) to see the tomb itself. It was fantastic
because there were not too many people there. I was able to see the tomb up
close, which meant that I could see even more detail than was on the outside of
the Taj. We walked around a bit more and then started our walk back. The
students were extremely happy because of all the great pictures they got. It
was tough to leave the Taj, because it is just so difficult to look away from.
You have to force yourself to walk until it’s out of sight. After the Taj, we
went back to the hotel to freshen up and get some breakfast (it was still
morning). After that, we went to our next monument of the day, the Red Fort. The Red Fort is a structure that was built
by Akbar and was the center of government for the Mughal Empire. It’s a
HUGE building. It isn’t very tall, but it is quite wide. Solanki showed us
around the fort and pointed out all of the interesting parts around it. Shah
Jahan, the man who had the Taj Mahal built for his wife, was imprisoned here by
his own son (it’s a long story). He was able to see the Taj from the fort,
though. The last time I came to the fort, there were tons and tons of monkeys
everywhere, but this time, there were none. I guess that they had been gotten
rid of or something. On the way out of the fort there were lots of people trying
to tell us stuff once again. I just ignored them, because (as I said before)
that is the best thing to do. Once we got back on the bus we headed for our
next destination, a place where they make all kinds of things out of marble
using pietra dura. The amount of work that these people put into making little
marble elephants or chessboards is amazing. Some things take years to make.
After seeing people actually carving individual flower petals and a short
video, we went into the store where they sell all of these things. I bought a
marble camel and a marble dog. Both of them had all kinds of designs all over
them. Will bought coasters and an elephant, and my mom almost bought the entire
store. The students had a good time, too. After the Taj Mahal, the Red Fort,
AND the pietra dura place, we finally went to lunch. We went to a place called
Hint of Spice, which was one of the best lunches I have had on the entire trip.
They had all kinds of chicken and LOTS of naan, which was heavenly for Will and
me. I ate an unhealthy amount of naan. Indian butter naan is quite addictive,
in that you never feel like you’ve had enough. After lunch, we still had lots
of things in front of us. It was only about 2:00 in the afternoon. The amount
of things we did that morning was shocking, but the main highlight of the day
(other than the Taj Mahal, of course) was still ahead.
The Red Fort:
The Red Fort:
The Taj Mahal:
Will Photobombing one of my pictures (I call it the bonnerbomb):
My mom, if you don't know her:
The view from where the Taj Mahal itself is to the building facing the Taj:
No comments:
Post a Comment